What is 5S?5S is a method for organizing a workplace, especially a shared workplace (like a Factory Building or an office space), and keeping it organized.The key targets of 5S are improved workplace morale, safety and efficiency.
1 - Seiri ( Sorting) : Going through all the tools, materials, etc, in the plant and work area and keeping only essential items. Everything else is stored or discarded.
2 - Seiton (Straighten or Set in Order) : Focuses on efficiency. When we translate this to "Straighten or Set in Order", it sounds like more sorting or sweeping, but the intent is to arrange the tools, equipment and parts in a manner that promotes work flow. For example, tools and equipment should be kept where they will be used (i.e. straighten the flow path), and the process should be set in an order that maximizes efficiency. For every thing there should be place and every thing should be in its place. (Demarcation and labeling of place.)
3 - Seisō (Sweeping or Shining or Cleanliness) : Systematic Cleaning or the need to keep the workplace clean as well as neat. At the end of each shift, the work area is cleaned up and everything is restored to its place. This makes it easy to know what goes where and have confidence that everything is where it should be. The key point is that maintaining cleanliness should be part of the daily work - not an occasional activity initiated when things get too messy.
4 - Seiketsu (Standardizing) : Standardized work practices or operating in a consistent and standardized fashion. Everyone knows exactly what his or her responsibilities are to keep above 3S's.
5 - Shitsuke ( Sustaining the discipline) : Refers to maintaining and reviewing standards. Once the previous 4S's have been established, they become the new way to operate. Maintain the focus on this new way of operating, and do not allow a gradual decline back to the old ways of operating. However, when an issue arises such as a suggested improvement, a new way of working, a new tool or a new output requirement, then a review of the first 4S's is appropriate.Implementation of 5S in order to be able done with good things we have to consider the following:
Do not rely on the tools of 5S
* Slogan 5S, 5S Pin, and the Checklist is 5S tools helper conditions for maintaining 5S
* 5S assert that as lifestyle, including mental, spirit, and physical exercise, such as in education in military discipline or spiritual activities.
Give support at every opportunity
* Each employee has to maintain the attitude or rejects conditions 5S
* Spur the spirit of each employee to execute 5S in every opportunity that is (For example: 5S in the seminar, the activities on-the-job training, meetings and meetings)
Create annotations to be easily understood
* Discuss 5S in practice, not only theoretical of 5S
* Create conditions to be easily identificated (Like: Red Label, 5S Board, Image before and after 5S)
Involve all employees
* Employees not only participated but it must mean that the involvement of
* Do not dispose of waste of time in the process of a feasibility study with the goal of avoiding the involvement of employees in the "trial-and error"
* Do not be angry
* Disappointed on the bad behavior and poor conditions that are not human